In a large bowl, combine courgettes, onions, and peppers. Sprinkle with salt and mix. Cover and let set overnight in a cool place.
Transfer vegetable mix to a strainer placed in the sink. Rinse with cool water and allow to drain thoroughly. Use your hands to press out excess liquid.
In a large saucepan on medium heat, dissolve sugar in vinegar. Add spices and chopped chili pepper with seeds (chili pepper and seeds can be omitted for a non-spicy version).
Add vegetable mix and simmer until vegetables are soft, about 15-20 minutes.
Ladle into warm, sterile jars and seal with tight-fitting lids. Once jars are cool, transfer to the fridge where they will keep for a couple of months.
Recipe author: Rachel
– 500g chopped courgettes (about 4 courgettes)
– 100g chopped onions
– 2 chopped and seeded peppers (any colours)
– 1 chili pepper, chopped with seeds (optional)
– 1-2 Tablespoons of pickling salt or course sea salt
– 150g granulated sugar
– 500ml white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
– 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
– 1 teaspoon celery seeds